weird drive shaft problem 1.8 diesel 205

Discussion in 'Peugeot 205' started by rextherunt, Nov 5, 2014.

1. rextherunt

rextherunt

Hello,
    I had most of my front suspension overhauled, and a while later new drive shafts both sides. all was peachy until an increasing vibration noise started to come through the foot wells. Having a look at the front with both wheels up; the right hand wheel turns smoothly, but the left side goes tight like it's under pressure, then with a clunk, pushes the engine inwards. Thought it might be a diff bearing going, but one mechanic looked at it and couldn't find anything wrong with the box. I've replaced the left drive shaft, track rod end, gearbox mount and two new tyres - no luck. Does anyone have ANY idea what on earth would make a shaft go in and out like that ?!!!

rextherunt, Nov 5, 2014
  2. rextherunt

rextherunt

Looks like the front shocks were not the correct ones, they're too long. Result is the shaft angle is incorrect when the wheels are straight causing the shaft to bottom in the CV cups and knocking out the bearings. Even bigger problem is sourcing the correct shocks as several motor factors say they no longer stock them. One said the 205 diesel wasn't a common model ?!!

rextherunt, Dec 19, 2014
Ask a Question