Ventilation blower access

Discussion in 'Peugeot 807' started by morriswoodyman, Jan 1, 2013.

1. morriswoodyman

morriswoodyman

The blower on my 807 is working intermittently and it seems likely the electrical contacts need cleaning. My problem is how exactly do I get at the blower without wrecking the glovebox and dash? Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

morriswoodyman, Jan 1, 2013
  2. morriswoodyman

Jim

Had this problem a while ago (3 years) and used the old EV2 forums for instructions on how to do it. Problem now recurred and EV2 forums no longer available so had to rely on memory.

Pretty easy job - allow 30 mins but could do in <10 with practice!

Pull off rubber passenger door seal from the join up to level with air vents
    Unclip the plastic panel LHS of footwell & ahead of the door - the one with the outlet from the small fan that blows air through the door to the rear passengers.
    Unclip the small panel which contains the airbag off switch. Disconnect the plug from the back of the switch.

There is one torx screw under the airbag switch panel (under top edge of panel) and one small bolt below it - undo both

Remove the 3 torx screws along the top edge of the glovebox - visible with glovebox open

The glovebox assembly should now come out - remove the connectors for the glovebox light (on the top of the assembly) and for the light's switch (on the back of the assembly)

Now you can get to the fan. Its in front of where the passengers left knee would be and says 'DENSO' on it. There is a vent tube running across the bottom of it (to the small fan supplying the rear) which can be pulled off to improve access.

Lower left of the fan body is a heavy duty connector which supplies main power to fan - check for voltage here (mine has been powered OK both times)

Lower right of the fan body is a small connector which is the speed control input. Dial on dashboard changes resistance across this.

I pulled this off and used a screwdriver blade to short the terminals within - fan magically restarted at full speed. Put the connector back on and now works correctly - speed controlled by dial as it should be.

Reassembly - reverse of above

Dont know why it happens but the same problem and the same fix twice - not too concerned as its been about 3 years between occurrences and easy to sort.
    Hope yours isnt anything more serious!

Jim

Jim, Jan 5, 2013
  3. morriswoodyman

morriswoodyman

Thanks Jim,
    Great instructions and spot on. I ended up working it out myself this morning after pulling off a lot of unnecessary trim. Hopefully anyone else trying to get at the fan will come across your instructions and save themselves a lot of time. At least I know how the ventilation system works now.
    Even after checking the fuse, cleaning the spade connectors and checking the voltage at the fan it didn't work so in desperation I hit it a couple of times and now it works! It may be the fan motor's brushes are on the way out but at least I know how to fix it quick now.
    Thanks,
    Mark

morriswoodyman, Jan 5, 2013
  4. morriswoodyman

wynb

Fan on wife's 807 still runs OK after 190K miles so I think your brushes should be OK, if it fails again you need to carefully take the fan apart as there are more 50 amp spade connectors inside that will need cleaning.

wynb, Jan 16, 2013
  5. morriswoodyman

morriswoodyman

The blower's been fine since I 'adjusted' it, hopefully ok for a while longer.
    I've not got the ESP/ASR error light coming on intermittently; I suspect that won't be such an easy fix :(

morriswoodyman, Jan 16, 2013
  6. morriswoodyman

wynb

Does the ESP warning light come on when cornering or braking? If so try topping up the hydraulic fluid reservoir (not easy to reach it), the CAN system can post an incorrect ESP warning in response to the low fluid. If it needs topping more likely to be a leak on the clutch side.

wynb, Jan 18, 2013
  7. morriswoodyman

morriswoodyman

The ESP light and warning message usually comes on just after starting the engine and will stay until a restart when it usually stays off. Cornering and braking have no effect. I had the same problem 2 years after buying the car from new and it spent several sessions with the dealer under warranty until they finally fixed it by replacing a chunk of the electronics in the steering column/steering wheel area. As the car is no over 5 years old I'm holding off taking it in until the problem is constant. I also get warnings the power steering has failed when it obviously has not.
    Mine is a poverty spec petrol model and I think I've had fewer problems than most higher spec and diesel owners. Having said that it's been nowhere as reliable as my old 806 which I had for 9 years with hardly any unscheduled trips to the garage.
    Mark

morriswoodyman, Jan 18, 2013
  8. morriswoodyman

wynb

I miss our old Synergie, far easier to fiddle with but my other half insisted on an upgrade, to be fair the 807 is better equiped but so complex and inaccessible, the one thing I don' t miss is the cable clutch on the old car, a real b..........k breaker while driving in towns.
    What about checking the diameter of the tyres and comparing? You could use a carpenters cramp or bent coat hook, if one/two tyres is/are a dfferent brand and significantly different in diameter it would be worth replacing them with tyres of the same brand.

wynb, Jan 18, 2013
  9. morriswoodyman

morriswoodyman

I hadn't realised tyre diameter could affect the ESP/ASR. I've recently replaced the nearside rear but the offside rear is part worn. Would this cause the warning on start up or would I have to drive a bit first?
    Mark

morriswoodyman, Jan 19, 2013
  10. morriswoodyman

wynb

I would not have thought any difference in tyre diameter could post the fault on start up, you would need to reach a certain speed then the light would come on. Can you get someone with PP to read the fault codes, sounds more like a defective hub sensor.

wynb, Jan 20, 2013
  11. morriswoodyman

morriswoodyman

I'm going to wait for the fault to happen a bit more often, less than once a week at the moment, and then get it analysed. I wasted too much time at the garage last time it playedup. Thanks for the help.

morriswoodyman, Jan 20, 2013
Ask a Question