Pug 406 Lighter fuse

Discussion in 'General Motoring' started by PugGB, Feb 21, 2014.

1. PugGB

PugGB

Hi.
    I have a 2001 406 GLX Hdi 90 estate.
    Could someone tell me if there is more than one fuse for the cig lighter.
    I know fuse 23 is for the lighter but I'm wanting a permanent live and fuse 23 doesn't allow this as it only works when the engine is running.

Thanks. :)

PugGB, Feb 21, 2014
  2. PugGB

Curpling

There is normally no reason to have several fuses on a circuit...

If you need a permanent live you need just to attach it to another cable with permanent live 12V+

I wouldnt recomend that though... the viring is done with a certain load in mind and if you add extra load to a cable it might actually start a fire.
    Another way to do it is to attach it to the main's, the cable that comes directly from the battery or attach a new cable to the battery it self.
    But make sure you have a fuse attached to it so you dont start a fire in the car.

If you need more help, just pm me.

(Sorry for spelling, english is not my first language)

Curpling, Mar 16, 2014
  3. PugGB

PugGB

Thank's for your reply.
    No need what so ever to apologise for your spelling, your English is actually very good - probably better than mine.
    But to cut a long story short - the lighter was working on a permanent live feed before I took it to an Auto electrician to have it looked at after I had accidentally short fused it.

He told me that I had put the replacement fuse in the wrong slot so he had moved it and the lighter was now working but not very well due to corrosion in the lighter socket.
    He wanted £50 to replace the lighter/socket using a £5 generic one, which I thought to be extortionate so, I replaced it myself using a genuine Peugeot lighter.

It works fine now other than it only works when the engine is running. Where as before, it worked off a permanent live feed.
    I have read somewhere that there is a couple of positions you can place the lighter fuse, depending on how you want it to work i.e. permanent live or off the ignition but it didn't specify where.

I'm sure I'll eventually suss it out but thanks again for your reply, buddy.
    Much appreciated.

All the best.:)

PugGB, Mar 17, 2014
  4. PugGB

Curpling

That's quite easy, open up the lid under the stearingwheel, you ought to have some blanks there.
    Use a voltmeter and measure directly to the chassi and then directly to the blank fuse with the ignition off or the key in the ignition, you should find.a permanentfeed there, then just move your 12v socket there.
    Don't use more then a 10 amp fuse for the job.

Curpling, Mar 17, 2014
  5. PugGB

PugGB

Excellent! Just need to get my hands on a voltmeter, now.

That's great. Thanks again for your help.:)

All the best.
    Chris.

PugGB, Mar 17, 2014
  6. PugGB

Curpling

NP

Just howl if you need more assistance.

Curpling, Mar 18, 2014
Ask a Question