Pug 205 faulty heater blower

Discussion in 'Peugeot 205' started by rooster, Dec 9, 2003.

1. rooster

rooster Guest

The heater blower on my 205xld (H plated) has stopped working. In previous posts on this one of the usual suspect appears to be the transistor based speed controller which I can easily remove but have no idea how to test it to see whether it is OK. Anyone got any suggestions?

Another common suggestion is the blower motor may have packed up. I've followed the various suggestions for removing the motor (head in the passenger foot-well, remove the 3 obvious screws and give a good tug) but without result. Do I really have to dismantle the facia to get at this motor?

As an alternative approach I tried removing the wiring connector to the blower unit and connecting a 12V line and earth line directly to the terminals in the hope that the blower motor would spring to life at full blast - but it didn't. Is it now reasonable for me to assume the blower motor has actually died? Or is my understanding of car electrics a bit naive?

Does anybody know of any other usual suspects for this problem?

If I cant fix this I face a chilly drive to the North of Scotland in a weeks time.

Cheers
    Rooster

rooster, Dec 9, 2003
  2. rooster

Dave English Guest

In message
    That should not be necessary. If I have it right then when the
    transistor fails the motor will still run when the knob is set to
    maximum. It is only below maximum that there is no blow.
    You do not have to dismantle the fascia, it is almost certainly just a
    matter of a stronger tug. The motor is sealed in place with either some
    mastic or perhaps a washer that turns to mastic over the years. The
    other day I found that I had to get leverage under one of the arms that
    the three screws attach before it would come free.
    I don't doubt that you have it right. The motor is kaput.
    Good luck

Dave English, Dec 10, 2003
Ask a Question