Peugeot 306 HDi Knocking and Crazy vibrations on motorway

Discussion in 'Peugeot 306' started by PrawnByrne, Dec 18, 2018.

1. PrawnByrne

PrawnByrne

Hi guys, just got myself a 1999 306 HDi, it's wonderful, everything seems in really good condition except for a bit of rust here and there.

There is the fabled "knocking sound" sounds like its in the boot, still to diagnose this fully but I'm pretty sure it fits the bill of bad back beam. But there isn't any noticeable "sag" or camber of the wheels so I'm still not sure...

Also seems when the handbrake is on tight, it's awfully creaky...especially when rocked side to side.

Engine works wonderfully and drives beautifully, however when driving it home I encountered some pretty crazy vibrations on the motorway that I'm quite worried about. It was pretty scary.

Vibrations start at about 70mph, they seemed to pass through the car from the front to back over a period of about 10 seconds intermittently every 30 seconds or so

When pushing the car to 80, when vibrations reached back of the car, the vibrations seemed to set off the knocking sound but at the speed and loudness of a helicopter. But noise would then stop and the vibrations would start at the front of the car again.

It was pretty mental....

Now the front driver side fork looks a bit rusted but I'm thinking that all this might be related to the back beam, or could the vibrations and the knocking be separate, and just the vibrations set off the knocking?

Anyone got any clues? Cos I'm stumped.

Thanks guys (and gals)

PrawnByrne, Dec 18, 2018
  2. PrawnByrne

PrawnByrne

Bump

PrawnByrne, Feb 1, 2019
Ask a Question