[OT] Stickers on headlights ?

Discussion in 'General Motoring' started by G.T, Sep 26, 2003.

  1. G.T

    G.T Guest

    Hi there,

    Certainly a bit OT here, but I'm curious...
    I often see, here in France, UK cars, with RHD and so on (no problem). They
    often have a kind of triangle-shaped stickers on the front lights. My
    question is : what are they intented for ? I noticed that not all UK cars I
    see down here have them.
    G.T, Sep 26, 2003
  2. G.T

    Chris Guest

    If you take your UK car to a European country you must use 'headlight
    re-director stickers'. Because over here we drive on the left, lights
    are beamed more towards oncoming traffic on the right. Whereas in
    Europe where most drive on the right, without the re-direct stickers the
    lights would beam to the right and not towards oncoming traffic. So the
    re-direct stickers help to direct the light to the left - at oncoming

    Its just one of those many regulations, like you must have a country
    sticker on the rear of your car to show where you're from!

    Chris, Sep 26, 2003
  3. G.T

    Mindwipe Guest

    plus its cheaper than fitting french standard headlights for your trip
    abroad and then changing them back on your return
    p.s GT you'll have to fit them if you ever visit this shit hole i live in
    Mindwipe, Sep 26, 2003
  4. G.T

    Hugo Nebula Guest

    Other way round, surely? I thought lights shone _away_ from oncoming
    traffic to prevent dazzling other drivers and to illuminate the
    Hugo Nebula, Sep 26, 2003
  5. G.T

    Chris Guest

    D'oh! Of course! Sorry, my mistake!

    Anyway, heres all the information you could need:

    Headlight Beam Deflectors. With a UK based car the headlights dip
    towards the kerb, as you will be travelling on the right hand side of
    the road the lights would dip towards on-coming traffic. For this reason
    you must either block the part of the beam that dips or fit small lenses
    that actually deflect it towards the right hand kerb. My Headlamp
    Conversion Simplified page describes the reason and solution for this.


    Chris, Sep 26, 2003
  6. G.T

    G.T Guest

    OK. Thanks !
    True it should be the case, but with EU plates, now you've got it on your
    plate. It doesn't seem to be the case in UK, though.
    G.T, Sep 26, 2003
  7. G.T

    Bob Minchin Guest

    In the UK we are told that the GB on an EU plate is not acceptable in the EU
    and that the black on white oval form must be displayed.

    Bob Minchin, Sep 29, 2003
  8. My experience as a resident of france is that nobody but us brits take these
    regulations seriously. The italian and spanish plates i regularly see here
    rarely display any indication to the non-expert what country they're from.
    The french will patriotically display an "F" on a tiny silver plastic cutout
    map of the hexagon - but thats usually all you get. In any case, the british
    motorist abroad in latin countries is immediately noticable, if not due to
    having right hand drive, then for our curious driving behaviour, such as
    stopping for pedestrians on a crossing, at traffic lights, never using the
    horn as one should (use of the klaxon is an art form). That huge GB sticker
    is, in Nice at any rate, just an invitation for everybody to overtake you on
    the pavement. Oh, and as for stickers on headlights, you might as well join
    a significant minority who side-step the problem completely by never using
    them ....
    Reginald Overdose, Sep 29, 2003
  9. G.T

    Dirk Lucas Guest

    It seems they changed the guidelines, since nobody had those stickers
    anyway. Apart from the people going to Austria, but that's a completely
    different story.

    Dirk Lucas, Sep 30, 2003
  10. G.T

    G.T Guest

    Hi Jeff,
    (Of course).
    Well, my headlights are so badly trimmed (yes, I should have another try)
    that I'm not sure I'd need them :)
    G.T, Sep 30, 2003
Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.