Intermittant Diesel gushing from filter housing assy

Discussion in 'Peugeot 807' started by threedogs, Jan 21, 2013.

1. threedogs

threedogs

Hi noticed last week street outside flooded with diesel and smell of diesel in car, but checking our car i could never see anything driping so presumed it was somebody else, but started the car yesterday ran it to defrost it switched on the AC and could smell diesel got out and looked under the car and it was flowing on to the ground like an open tap, swithched off opened the bonnet and the whole of the fuel filter housing was covered and driping with diesel started the car up agian and ther ewas only a slow steady drip comming from it somewhere swithched it off and resarted it to investigate further and no leaks whatsoever for rest of day,, I will keep starting it an dtry and ctch it in the act and see where it is comming from
    anybody got any ideas??? what stumps me is this is a serious leak but intermitant grrrr, is there perhaps a presure release valve or something like that on this filter housing assembly ???

threedogs, Jan 21, 2013
  2. threedogs

wynb

I don't think there is any pressure releif or one way valve on the filter housing. When the ignition is switched on the pump in the tank starts and if you are watching the filter swells with the pressure (it is how the AA check if the pump in the tank is working). I would change the filter and seal as a precaution (there may be two seals by mistake) and make sure the pipe connections to the filter are pressed fully home as they are difficult to engage fully.

wynb, Jan 21, 2013
  3. threedogs

threedogs

Found out it was the housing leaking, but seals itself when warm. A nearby Peugeot dealer had one of these housings in stock and could fit it for me today, as i need the car desperatly at the moment i had it done cost 176 quid though grrr .. didnt have alot of choice anyway as i can not seem to be able to get any workshop manuals or even Haynes manual for this car there are some {what seem very good} Workshop manuals avaliable for download at a good price but will only work on 32 bit computers?? and not 64 bit ?? i am not very tech savy so do not know why they dont run on 64 bit computers

Bought some 1.2 volt lamps today from Halfords for the aircon display window, bought two types the straitforward lamps only, and the lamps mounted in holders just hope i have got whatever needs replacing if i manage to get the trim off

threedogs, Jan 22, 2013
  4. threedogs

wynb

I wonder if your earlier instinct about a prv being the cause may be correct. I had a thought that maybe the non return valve in the high pressure circuit had some dirt that caused it to not seal when the car was switched off causing high pressure to be fed back to the filter housing hence the leak when it was at rest. Can't see that the filter housing would seal when warm as it would be under 3 bar pressure from the pump in the tank. If it has stopped leaking I would be tempted to leave well alone.
    Haynes Peugeot 406 manual covers the engine and gearbox but some of the advice is suspect eg it doesn't tell you to remove the driveshaft when removing the turbo and to start the engine when bleeding the brakes.
    I bought a couple of Peugeot CD's on the internet that help. Good luck with the AC display bulbs, you need long strong fingers, and don't drop the holders!

wynb, Jan 23, 2013
  5. threedogs

peadoffpeat

there is a pressure swich built into top of fuel fillter that regulates the pressure to the return line. this shuld be no more than 2bar

peadoffpeat, Jul 31, 2014
Ask a Question