high oil temp and slight oil loss after timing belt replacement

Discussion in 'Peugeot 406' started by axe88, May 7, 2023.

1. axe88

axe88

Hi.

New 406 owner here. Bought this car 3 weeks ago with 315k on the clock. Took it asap to get the timing belt done. Long story short the mechanic broke the crankshaft pulley bolt deep inside the crank but managed to drill it and get it out. He said he also used heat to get it out which makes me think now the crankshaft oil seal is damaged & leaking.

Was driving to get a new front grille mask from a spares yard last week (40 euros) second hand, and the oil temp on the left of the steering wheel rose to 100 deg I have not noticed that before. Is that normal? Its usually strictly on 90 deg.

Also the mech told me to keep an eye on the coolant level. It has also dropped about 5cm since the belt change but I topped it up and will check it out regularly. BTW when is it safe to open these coolant tanks because the whole tank is black and impossible to check the level without opening it.

Do they have transparent tank replacements?

axe88, May 7, 2023
Ask a Question