Changing a starter motor...

Discussion in 'Peugeot 406' started by Dragon-Snake, May 23, 2013.

1. Dragon-Snake

Dragon-Snake

So, we were stranded in the middle of nowhere yesterday due to our HDi Estate starter motor packing up. Green Flag bump started us & we got home safely. I have ordered a new starter motor off ebay & it should be here Monday. I am about to remove the old starter motor on our drive shortly. Is there anything I should watch out for?

Our car is a 2002 2.0 HDi 110 GLX Diesel Estate.

Regards, Vic...

Dragon-Snake, May 23, 2013
  2. Dragon-Snake

Dragon-Snake

Fixed...

Well that was a piece of p*ss! Forget looking in a Haynes manual for help as it's garbage. I didn't even jack the car up to change the starter motor & it was fitted within an hour. I removed ther air cleaner & all pipes. Then removed the air-cleaner bracket. Remove all pipes at the engine front. The starter motor is right in front of you slightly left of centre. There is one moulded cable cover that seems to be in your way but ignore it = you can work round it. There are 2 wires on 2 connectors on the solenoid part. Then all you have to remove is the 3 bolts to the right (2 are 8mm hex + 1 is 15mm spanner). The chang-over was an absolute breeze & all I had to do after was top up on coolant. Car started 1st turn of the key.

Thanks for your help ;)

Dragon-Snake, May 31, 2013
  3. Dragon-Snake

Ian Administrator

Thanks for reporting back with the answer, it's always great to see someone managing to find the solution - hopefully this will help someone else in the same situation :).

Ian, Jun 3, 2013
  4. Dragon-Snake

Dragon-Snake

Well if anyone needs to replace their starter motor, feel free to ask advice! I'll tell you this for free: If you have a Haynes Manual = chuck it in the bin cos mine was no use at all...

Dragon-Snake, Jun 3, 2013
  5. Dragon-Snake

markcarl

hi, im trying to remove the starter on a pug 406 2.0 hdi, the problem I have is that on trying to remove the bottom bolt im only able to pull out so far before it catches on to the black plastic which I belive is the slave cylinder, can some one please tell me how i over come this

markcarl, Jan 6, 2015
Ask a Question