405 Diesel bad starter/engine cuts out

Discussion in 'Peugeot 405' started by codger, Mar 12, 2013.

1. codger

codger

Car is 1994 GTX with 150k miles on clock. Last December I noticed starting was becoming a problem and suspected glow plugs as they had changed around 75k miles. Took car in to Peugeot dealer to MOT, new glow plugs, fuel filter. On first day of use starting was better (not perfect) but a mile into journey engine just cut out without warning (no error lights showing). Very cold that day and could not restart it. Decided to check fuel system and noticed some very small seepage of fuel around priming bulb. Gave it a few squeezes, lots of smoke and it started. Assumed Peugeot mechanic had disconnected fuel piping and not reconnected it properly. Took it back and they put in new priming bulb. All seemed OK but not as much improvement as I would have expected from new glows. January passed by and I noted an improvement and acceptable starting - just! Through February it had got worse, tried Oil Co. fuel rather than supermarket no difference. B.....r to start followed by exhaust cloud! Problem now is engine just cuts out exactly as was the problem when I got the car back from the Peugeot garage. BUT car can be restarted after several squeezes of the primer.

Now I must assume they have actually changed the glow plugs! I have also been assured that they checked out the fuel lines for any further leaks.

Any suggestions? My guess would be an air leak. Is there a 100% foolproof way of checking this out? Could it be the injectors or fuel pump?

Many thanks guys - hoping for some guidance.

codger, Mar 12, 2013
Ask a Question