307cc overheating coolant problem

Discussion in 'Peugeot 307' started by RussG, Nov 29, 2019.

1. RussG

RussG

Well I joined this forum just in time!!!
    My 307cc (2006 plate) has just overheated., all the way to the point that the stop warning light came on.
    Fortunately I was very near to home so let it cool down, and got it home.
    Now I have only had the car 5 weeks and everything has been fine, but i have noticed that the coolant temp has been taking quite some time to get up to operating temp, by which I mean that the gauge doesn't even move for quite a while (a coupe of miles at least).
    When I got home I popped the bonnet and noticed that the coolant had all but gone and there was some steam coming from the right hand side of the engine.
    I let it cool right down, topped up the coolant, and let it run again.
    Again, it began to over heat.
    I managed to locate a slight leak from the top radiator hose, where it joins the engine block, which I believe is the thermostat housing and this was the source of the steam. This leak must have been present for some time as I cant notice any drop in coolant level...i.e. it wasn't p155ing out!
    The radiator cooling fan did cut in at about 95 degrees so that's fine.
    The interior heating system is also working fine as well, which i guess rules out a fault with the water pump.
    So, the leak is the obvious source of coolant loss, but I am also guessing that the thermostat and/or coolant temp sensor is at fault also.
    Your thought's and suggestions on this matter would be really appreciated. Also, if I am heading in the right direction, is it an easy is fix that I could do myself?
    Thanks all in advance
    Russ

RussG, Nov 29, 2019
  2. RussG

Arm360

Hi Russ,
    Did you get it sorted, I’m having the same problem.

regards
    Andy

Arm360, Jul 13, 2020
Ask a Question