307 New Alternator Heating Up

Discussion in 'Peugeot 307' started by Exquizit, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Exquizit

Exquizit

I have this problem with my Peugeot 307 Automatic AL4 transmission Model 2007, Oxygo version. Only that my Alternator is new and I have just replaced it following a "Battery charge fault" on my dashboard the other day.
    History: One afternoon, parked at work place my car decided not to start. Thought could have been another battery problem but have earlier (4 months ago) replaced with a new battery. Previous battery had lasted only 1 year. Nonetheless I decided to call a friend to jump start the car.

First, second and third attempt, it did not start but cranked once and stopped. Then we decided to take the battery from the jumpstart car directly into my car, unfortunately the unthinkable happened. He crisscrossed battery terminals as his was a bit different from mine, then some smoke came from the terminals... and had forgotten that my car ignition was still on on position. Quickly i switched off as he pulled out the terminals. Slight smoke also noticed in the interior just below the dual aircon climate controls. We just stopped right there then i pulled my car home for latter checks..

I then realised later that the problem was my key battery not the car battery!!! Now who knows what extra damage was done. After replacing the key battery, i tried again to start the car and to my surprise.. it started! Now two new problems.. had lost power steering and battery charger fault appeared on the car monitor. I looked for blown fuses and only got one blown relay fuse for the steering wheel, which I replaced and now functions. Could not locate the battery charger fuse and all the other fuses i checked both in the engine and glove box appeared normal. So I googled, found a thread on battery charger fault and tested my alternator, it appeared to be the problem. So i just bought a new alternator in Capetown as here in Namibia there are currently nomore Peugeot dealers or mechanics authorised to service these cars. Previous dealer licence had been revoked so they could not assist me.

The alternator arrived three weeks later, so I googled again and managed to replace the old one with a new one. Car starts well, havent seen any "battery charger fault" after running the engine idle for 5 mins. But but now when i touch the alternator it felt very unusually warm, getting hot but rest of the engine still cool. I thought there could be a short circuit somewhere so today I opened the whole center console to see if any burnt wires but could not find. I also checked all alternator wiring and battery connections are good. When i start engine all warning lights flash momentarily as usual except the battery warning light. I don't remember it flashing too before all these problems as i paid no attention as car was good. Now is it also a blown bulb or what? What could be the cause of alternator heating up?. It is brandy new!. Havent driven the car yet as i am scared to fry my new alternator.

Please help!

Exquizit, Dec 17, 2019
Ask a Question