205 not so newbie

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by nobbly, Nov 7, 2016.

1. nobbly

nobbly

Hi PF,

David from Cumbria saying hello :)

Just bought a 205 D-turbo, 1992 vintage on a bit of an eBay whim as my wife had one that she loved in the 1990s. Her original one was in the lovely metallic (Sorrento) green, the 'new' one is white which isn't so nice IMHO.

The 205 is all-there (just about) and not messed with at all having the same owner for the last 22 years!! Unfortunately it hasn't had a wash for all that time and the dog seems to have lived in the boot. Yuk!

We've ripped the interior out for a deep clean, (my lad who's coming up 15 has been very keen to help as he see's it as a potential first car) and given her a thorough wash and some bits a T-Cut and polish.

Fault list so far:
    • Dash lights don't work
    • No lock actuators in the rear doors
    • Fuel leak from injection pump
    • Smoky, especially when cold (injectors?)
    • Loose alternator
    • Loose power steering belt
    • Drivers seat base cushion collapsed
    • Rear fog light replaced with a non-standard item
    The plan is to clean it up and stick an MoT on it and just see how it goes - rot wise things don't seem too bad. there have been a couple of patches done in the boot floor and another small one on the drivers side inner wing. The rear beam isn't seized :) and the brakes work a bit too.

She had a fair pile of advisories (ball joints etc.) on the last test, so no doubt there will be a few jobs to get done, but excitement and enthusiasm are high, so let's see where this journey goes...

Any hints, tricks, tips, good parts suppliers and so forth will be appreciated. I've just spent 2 years restoring a 44 year old VW camper, so know all about searching the globe for obscure parts!

Some 'as bought' pics below

upload_2016-11-7_20-34-21.png

upload_2016-11-7_20-35-47.png

Forgot to say, already scored with a tailgate complete with grey rear trim for £40 (see above for the previously 'repaired' spoiler holes!!!). The side skirts will be coming off if anyone wants them...

Heres the camper van, if you're interested, all my own work...

upload_2016-11-7_20-39-54.png

... and it's yummy motor...

upload_2016-11-7_20-41-49.png

Hopefully won't be spending quite so much money on the 205 though

nobbly, Nov 7, 2016
    Ian likes this.
  2. nobbly

Ian Administrator

Welcome to the forums :).

You've done a cracking job on the camper van! I'm looking forward to seeing how the 205 turns out.

Haha, quite a motivation for him then!

Ian, Nov 14, 2016
  3. nobbly

John W

Hello Nobbly,

hats off to your work on that VW Camper. That Peugeot 205 D-turbo is what I would have preferred to own but settled for a Peugeot 205 GL (1990) which I've just overhauled. Classic Peugeots are a rarity here in Vietnam where I am an expat.

I've a problem I hope you can help me with; there is no displacement (cm3) found on the registration card. Production in France 1990 although I think 1989 model. I tried to identify the engine and decode the VIN. It's possibly either a TU9 (954cc) or TU3 (1360cc) but there are several versions in between! Photos attached.

VIN plate:
    VF320AK3123772880
    1220 kg
    1920 kg
    1 750 kg
    2 680 kg.

Engine Number: 23772880
    Next to engine number are two small riveted metal tags: One has three separate markings:
    (1) K3A (2) PTC (3) TYPE REGL. and the other is marked: 1F SOC 673512.

Other possible distinguishing features (assumed original):
    • Weber carburettor (single) made in Italy!
    • Trim GL phase 2
    Thank you very much Nobbly.
    John W (expat in Vietnam).

John W, May 3, 2022
Ask a Question