Pug 106 Diesel Fuel Gauge

Discussion in 'Peugeot 106' started by jel183 \(UK\), Oct 10, 2003.

1. 1999 Pug 106 1.5D - The fuel gauge appears to be stuck on FULL - anyone got
    any ideas?

jel183 \(UK\), Oct 10, 2003
  2. jel183 \(UK\)

Adrian G

Hello. I presume it reads empty with the ignition off. Then I recon you should first try checking the most easy too access bit first. Remove the plug from the sender unit on top of the fuel tank and switch the ignition on and see if fuel gauge drops, if not then get a multimeter and measure the voltage across the two end wires on the 4 pin plug. You should get 12 volts and that would imply the fault is at the dashboard end. If you get zero volts with the ignition on then make sure you switch the ignition OFF {or you might ruin the multimeter} then measure the resistance across the two end wires on the plug to see if there is a short in the wiring as that would cause it to show full on the fuel gauge. If it is not a short then I guess the next step is to remove the instruments. There is a little circuit-bored on the back of the instruments which I think is an op amp that powers the fuel gauge that might have gone wrong. I heard from somewhere that there is a transistor {bc337} on that pcb that sometimes fail. I hope that helps and best of luck.

I also have a 106 like yours with a naff fuel gauge but mine reads empty all the time. I have ruled out the sender and wiring.

Adrian G, Sep 10, 2016
Ask a Question