Peugeot Car Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

406 Air conditioning

 
les@hollandworld.freeserve.co.uk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-06-2006
Switched on the A/C today for the first time this year and nothing.Any
simple checks anyone could recommend or is it definetly a garage job.It
worked fine up to last September.Any advice appreciated.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Malc
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-06-2006
http://www.thepeugeotforums.com/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Switched on the A/C today for the first time this year and nothing.Any
> simple checks anyone could recommend or is it definetly a garage
> job.It worked fine up to last September.Any advice appreciated.


Often it can be because the seals have gone if it hasn't been used. You're
supposed to use them for at least 15 minutes a month (if not a week). A
cheap and cheerful way is to get a top up cannister from Halfords. For £17
or so it will repressurise the system and if it springs back to life then
you'll know the problem. Replacing seals is probably a specialist job
because of the gasses involved. A simple refill will be about £50. It's
possible that there's no power to the electric clutch in the compressor due
to another fault but the clutch won't engage if there's no pressure.

--
Malc

Cheap, but not as cheap as your girlfriend


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
ib
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-07-2006

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> Switched on the A/C today for the first time this year and nothing.Any
> simple checks anyone could recommend or is it definetly a garage job.It
> worked fine up to last September.Any advice appreciated.
>


If you're anywhere near Poole I'd be happy to take a look

www.poolecool.co.uk


 
Reply With Quote
 
Nom
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-07-2006
In article <(E-Mail Removed) om>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
>
>Switched on the A/C today for the first time this year...


Lack of use has caused your seals to dry up, and all the gas to escape. You need
to use your aircon all the time, get in the habit of running it on at least a
weekly basis.
Note that it doesn't have to blow cold air - it works as a dehumidifier whatever
you set the temperature to.

>and nothing.Any
>simple checks anyone could recommend or is it definetly a garage job.It
>worked fine up to last September.Any advice appreciated.


Get out your Yellow Pages, and phone some local AirCon guys. You'll be able to
get it regassed for around £50, and this will include them adding a dye to the
system. So if it does have any leaks (unlikely - it's prolly just the seals as
above), they can be spotted.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-07-2006

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> Switched on the A/C today for the first time this year and nothing.Any
> simple checks anyone could recommend or is it definetly a garage job.It
> worked fine up to last September.Any advice appreciated.
>

As Malc says, try one of the regassing bottles from Halfords, they also
contain a sealant which will help if the seals are a bit dry. If it then
still won't work, it's a specialist job.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ken
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-07-2006

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Switched on the A/C today for the first time this year and nothing.Any
> simple checks anyone could recommend or is it definetly a garage job.It
> worked fine up to last September.Any advice appreciated.


As others have pointed out, if you do not use your a/c during the
winter, the seals glue up and the first time you turn on you lose all
your gas.

So why would anyone use a/c in the winter?

Simple. There is no method quicker than turning on the a/c to de-fog
inside the windows. As you will know from seeing a pool of water under
your car below the a/c, the a/c reduces the humidity of the air and,
especially if you also run the heater, your windows clear in a flash.

And if you do this two/three times during the winter you will probably
save your seals and your gas.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Keith Willcocks
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-07-2006

"Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Switched on the A/C today for the first time this year and nothing.Any
>> simple checks anyone could recommend or is it definetly a garage job.It
>> worked fine up to last September.Any advice appreciated.

>
> As others have pointed out, if you do not use your a/c during the
> winter, the seals glue up and the first time you turn on you lose all
> your gas.
>
> So why would anyone use a/c in the winter?
>
> Simple. There is no method quicker than turning on the a/c to de-fog
> inside the windows. As you will know from seeing a pool of water under
> your car below the a/c, the a/c reduces the humidity of the air and,
> especially if you also run the heater, your windows clear in a flash.
>
> And if you do this two/three times during the winter you will probably
> save your seals and your gas.



My repairer suggests leaving the A/C on permanently, He reckons the
additional fuel cost is far less than having to re-gas and have new seals
fitted. I have to admit that, whereas my 405 with belt driven A/C used an
additional 5mpg, I have not noticed any real difference in mpg on the 406
with or without the A/C.
--
Keith Willcocks
(If you can't laugh at life, it ain't worth living!)


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-07-2006

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> Switched on the A/C today for the first time this year and nothing.Any
> simple checks anyone could recommend or is it definetly a garage job.It
> worked fine up to last September.Any advice appreciated.


I thought about doing it myself but decided to let a specialist do it, It
seems they have to vacuum the system before re-gassing it. If you know how
to do it try the a/c kits you can buy but I thought £60 for someone to
re-gas my car was not bad . I know I would have botched it up.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Malc
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-07-2006
Mike wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>> Switched on the A/C today for the first time this year and
>> nothing.Any simple checks anyone could recommend or is it definetly
>> a garage job.It worked fine up to last September.Any advice
>> appreciated.

>
> I thought about doing it myself but decided to let a specialist do
> it, It seems they have to vacuum the system before re-gassing it. If
> you know how to do it try the a/c kits you can buy but I thought £60
> for someone to re-gas my car was not bad . I know I would have
> botched it up.


You can't regas properly at home. The pukka job involves sucking out the old
gas and refilling with a specific amount. The Halfords kit really just
repressurises. I have used one on my old Xantia just before I sold it
because there was no way I was going to pay £200 for a recon compressor and
regassing. It did work but it isn't a kosher solution.

--
Malc

Cheap, but not as cheap as your girlfriend


 
Reply With Quote
 
Doofer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2006
Cheers chaps
I am going to take it to a garage for a regas
I did consider the halfords option but if it is something bigger like
the seals then I would end up there anyway.

once again cheers Les.

Malc wrote:
> Mike wrote:
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> >> Switched on the A/C today for the first time this year and
> >> nothing.Any simple checks anyone could recommend or is it definetly
> >> a garage job.It worked fine up to last September.Any advice
> >> appreciated.

> >
> > I thought about doing it myself but decided to let a specialist do
> > it, It seems they have to vacuum the system before re-gassing it. If
> > you know how to do it try the a/c kits you can buy but I thought £60
> > for someone to re-gas my car was not bad . I know I would have
> > botched it up.

>
> You can't regas properly at home. The pukka job involves sucking out the old
> gas and refilling with a specific amount. The Halfords kit really just
> repressurises. I have used one on my old Xantia just before I sold it
> because there was no way I was going to pay £200 for a recon compressorand
> regassing. It did work but it isn't a kosher solution.
>
> --
> Malc
>
> Cheap, but not as cheap as your girlfriend


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[206] GTi Air Conditioning Nick Peugeot 206 8 12-16-2013 01:43 AM
REQ: Manuals - Books: Repairing Automotive air conditioning systems(Peugeot 406 if possible) TIA Anon friend Peugeot 406 0 09-15-2010 07:26 PM
Air Conditioning on R Reg 306 dt Wolfmeister Peugeot 306 4 04-27-2004 03:06 PM
307 Air Conditioning blod Peugeot 307 1 09-25-2003 03:23 PM
Air Conditioning George Flanders General Motoring 0 08-03-2003 09:56 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:04 AM.